Bookmark and Share   Jan. 18, 2012   Vol. 3 Week 4 Issue 133


After 30 years operating TE-EM Farm owner Ted VanderWouden has sold the business. It will open under new management in 2012 as Stonefield Garden Centre. (Photo by Melody Falconer-Pounder)


After 30 years Ted VanderWouden has potted his last plant. The owner of TE-EM Farm has officially retired with the recent sale of the business.

TE-EM Farm will reopen in April under new ownership and with a new name, Stonefield Garden Centre.

VanderWouden said that a former employee has purchased the business.

“I’ve known him since he was a young man in Cub Scouts,” he recalled. “He worked for us and has tried different aspects of the business.”

It hasn’t been the easiest few months for VanderWouden who lost his wife and business partner, Emma, to a short battle with cancer in September. They were married for 39 years.

“It is tough to leave as I am facing it by myself but I am happy to be going on,” he said. “At 71 I’d still like to do something but don’t want to run the show anymore.”

2011.07.09 081
Ted and Emma VanderWouden, owners of TE-EM Farm celebrated 30 years in the nursery business on July 3, 2011 with a special open house. In 1981 the couple moved from London and took over the business from Jake and Elsie Reder (seated), who attended the open house to congratulate the VanderWoudens. Soon after the celebrating sadness when Elsie died on Aug. 9, followed by Emma on Sept. 8. (Photo submitted)

According to VanderWouden, the sale came together quickly.

“We came close to selling a couple of times before but things fell through.” TE-EM was first listed for sale in 2003.

The couple found themselves still the proud owners of the greenhouses 30 years in and celebrated the milestone on July 3, 2011.

Three decades earlier VanderWouden had a good job in the city but wanted something different. He had grown up on a farm near Rotterdam in Holland and had gone to agriculture school before coming to Canada in 1964.

“I wanted to get out of the city. Farming stays in your blood,” he said.

The couple purchased the farm at 77688 Orchard Line from Jake and Elsie Reder in 1981. The Reders had established five green houses and the VanderWoudens would work to expand the green house space to almost an acre.

“We stayed very good friends with the Reders,” said VanderWouden. “I looked after the more physical aspect of the job and it was a challenge for me. Emma did tasks like the bookkeeping. And we raised four kids on the farm.”

VanderWouden has seen the nursery and garden centre business change. He remarked that there is a lot more competition now than there used to be.

“When we first started we were the first one in the area to have open houses. And if you look at the old pictures you will see over 80 cars parked on either side of the laneway so many people would come out for them,” he said.

Something TE-EM Farm became well known for were Ted’s Tasty Tomatoes, a local summertime staple that will no doubt be sorely missed by regular customers.

“The Reders were selling tomatoes so we decided to carry on. The variety had a very good tasty flavor so we gave it a very good catchy name,” he said.

He explained that the tomato used was a commercial variety but one that isn’t grown much anymore.

With the sale of the farm closing on Nov. 15, VanderWouden was faced with the challenge of moving out of the farmhouse he had lived in for three decades. His children came home to help him with the task, with his daughter Anita coordinating the move.

The business could sometimes prove challenging and Ted VanderWouden embraced that. The Ontario pesticide ban which went into effect on Apr. 22, 2009 has area greenhouse operators exploring alternatives for plant maintenance and health. TEEM Farms used beneficial bugs to combat the insects that may spread disease and kill plants within the greenhouse environment. (Photo by Melody Falconer-Pounder)

“We hadn’t moved in 30 years, it was really unbelievable what we had kept, there was a lot of stuff to go through,” he said.

For now VanderWouden has rented a cottage near Goderich until the spring. He hopes to find a modest home in the area with a little acreage – just enough space perhaps to do a little recreational gardening.

“The Fair Board (Bayfield Agricultural Society) members don’t want me to move too far away,” he said.

The VanderWoudens were both very active members of the society, Emma filling the demanding role of Secretary-Treasurer.

The BAS membership won’t be the only ones that hope VanderWouden maintains his Bayfield connection. His former customers will too.

“We had some people who came to us from day one and we looked forward to seeing them again each year. It became more a social thing – it was not just a job. These customers became friends.”

The feeling is no doubt mutual.

Province confirms they will match fundraising efforts 2:1

Good news for Goderich residents with regards to their fundraising initiatives since an F3 Tornado struck the town on the afternoon of Aug. 21, 2011.

Chairperson of the Goderich and Area Disaster Relief Committee (GADRC), Duncan Jewell, received confirmation on Jan. 12 that the Province of Ontario will contribute up to $2 for every $1 raised locally to an amount necessary to settle all eligible claims paying up to 90 per cent of the eligible costs.

“I was extremely pleased to receive the confirmation letter from Kathleen Wynne, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing”, said Jewell. The letter from the Minister was in response to a letter sent by the GADRC to the Minister on Nov. 17, 2011.

Jewell said, “The fundraising campaign led by Dr. Tom Jasper, Ken Dunn and Matt Hoy has been extremely successful raising $3.87 million, which, if necessary, generates $11.6 million to pay eligible claims at the 90 per cent rate. Even with many files lacking financial information from insurance and construction companies, I am very confident that the GADRC will have sufficient funds to pay all eligible claims.

“I cannot stress enough that applicants with open files are required to provide all the necessary insurance information and cost estimates in order for the Program Administrators to review their file. It is important that applicants continue to dialogue with their insurance brokers, adjusters, restoration companies and contractors to secure the information needed and provide it to our office.”

According to Jewell, the GADRC has completed a review of 105 of the 373 applications for financial assistance. The committee approved payments to 84 of the applicants and determined that 21 of the files did not meet eligibility requirements of the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP).

“The committee was pleased that it was able to issue some payments before the end of the 2011,” said Jewell.


Dec19-11 003
A generous donation was made recently in Zurich to the "Friends of Hay Twp. Hall" (FHTH) by local band, "The Lines Between". Most Monday nights for the last few months, the band has been using the space as a rehearsal hall. According to Heather Klopp, representing FHTH, they love that the community is using the old gem again and made a $500 donation to show their thanks and support. From l-r are: Nick Haberer, guitarist; Lance Bedard, drummer and vocalist; Doug Thiel, of the FHTH; and James Debus, guitarist. (Photo submitted)


historical society

Well-known Goderich Optometrist Dr. Dean Nisbett will be the guest speaker at the Bayfield Historical Society Dinner and Annual General Meeting on Jan. 23. Nisbett, an avid and skilled sailor, will tell those who attend about his wonderful adventures sailing the Atlantic and the Mediterranean and beyond.

The event will be held at St. Andrew’s United Church at noon. Tickets are $17 each and can be obtained by calling Pat or Bud Langley at 519 565-2894. Memberships for 2012 may also be obtained though the Langleys for $20.

library friends


Dr. Seuss is reportedly on the loose! All preschoolers are invited to help find Dr. Seuss as part of Family Literacy Day at the Bayfield Library on Main Street.

Moms, Dads, grandparents or caregivers can bring their preschoolers to the library on the afternoon of Jan. 26 and help them find the good doctor.

Friends of the Bayfield Library (FOBL) will be on hand from 3-4 p.m. to help the librarian with readings and activities involving Dr Seuss. Children are encouraged to wear something red and bring a red marker or crayon. Cupcakes will be served and there is no need to register.

The FOBL has been created to promote the library as essential to the community’s quality of life. As enthusiastic supporters, FOBL intends to enhance the profile of the Bayfield Library and to advocate for library services and programs. To become a member of the FOBL, please send an email to or call Clair at 519-565-2135.

Trinity Church

Extremely cold temperatures and gray skies don’t exactly conjure up images of the Bayfield Antique Show and Sale hosted each August by the congregation of Trinity Anglican Church. However, the event coordinators are hoping to get people thinking about it and maybe even considering volunteering at the event to be held Aug. 10-12 at the Bayfield Community Centre.

The Antique Show and Sale now in its 27th season is a wonderful boon to the village and help from both residents and summer folk is needed to make it a continued success. There are a variety of tasks to choose from when volunteering, helping with set up, serving in the tearoom, security and front door admission sales are but a few examples.

To learn more about this great community event please call Joan Cluff at 519 565-2974 or email her at

Vendors that specialize in antiques are also currently being sought for the August show and sale. Anyone with an interest can use the above contact information to find out more.

town hall 


All those who attend the next most anticipated event at the Bayfield Town Hall will be transported back to the era of the big band when a 1940's style cabaret will be held Feb.11 at 8 p.m.

Tickets are $10. There will be live music and dancing and a cash bar.

For more information and for tickets please call Judy Keightley at 519 565-4515 or Kate Lloyd-Rees at 519 565-4404.

bayfield reads 2012

The very popular Bayfield Reads, held in conjunction with CBC’s Canada Reads, is back for 2012. Those who never miss this event should mark their calendars for Feb. 5 and encourage others to join in the fun. The debate, hosted by The Village Bookshop, will be held at the Bayfield Town Hall starting at 2 p.m. The cost to attend is $5 and tickets can be reserved at the bookshop after Jan. 18.

take time 2012

January and February days often seem longer than they are short so once again the congregations of the village’s four local churches have joined together to offer an interesting series of programs designed to combat the winter blahs.

The fourth year of the “Take Time in 2012” programs will run from now to Feb. 6. They are a perfect opportunity for friends and neighbors to learn and share with one another.

The programs will be held on Mondays from 1:30-3 p.m. Each participating church will host one event.

In the past a registration coffee has been held to get the program going but this year that has been dispensed with. The cost will be $3 per session.

Want to attend but don’t have the transportation needed to get to the location of the presentation? Rides can be provided, just call the coordinator of that session.

Next week, Jan. 23, the Take Time in 2012 programs will take a break to encourage everyone to go to the Bayfield Historical Society Dinner and Annual General Meeting.

On Jan. 30, thoughts will turn to spring rejuvenation when Helen Varkamp of Huron, Hearth and Home, presents the topic, “Spruce Up for Spring” – a new look for your home. This session will be held at St. Andrew’s United Church and Flo Keillor is the contact. For more information she can be reached at 519 565-2640.

The final session will be held on Feb. 6 at Trinity Anglican Church with Kate Lloyd-Rees and Judy Keightley. The duo will share their knowledge on the creation of quick and tasty appetizers. “Small Plates for Sharing” is the topic of this presentation. To learn more contact the session coordinator, Helen Latimer, at 519 565-2792.

ratepayers association

Ainslie Willock is the new president of the Bayfield Ratepayers Association (BRA) and she would like to encourage village residents to come and observe the monthly BRA meetings.

“I'll make time on the agenda for visitors to bring up any issues they would like us to comment on,” she said recently.

The BRA meets on the first Saturday of the month at 9 a.m. at the Bayfield Lions’ Community Building.

The BRA does not meet in January. So their first meeting of 2012 will be held on Feb. 4.

Reminders of the monthly meetings can be found on the Post Office Notice Board and on the BRA website:

fitness fun

Huron Ridge Acres would like to invite all in the community to participate in their Winter Walking Program - a terrific way to escape those winter “blahs”. On Tuesdays and Fridays during January, February and March the owners open the greenhouse from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. for people to come and walk on the ice-free, snow-free sidewalks. Those who take part can enjoy the smell of things growing, and the sunshine on days when it shines, along with some relaxing background music. There is no charge – it is the Steckle’s way of saying thanks to the community for their support of Huron Ridge.





There are countless photographs of people in the Bayfield Historical Society’s Archives collection, but sadly their names were never recorded. In this section we will showcase an image with the hopes that one of our subscribers might be able to identify the individual(s) in the photo. Please email your information to the Editor’s attention at the address listed near the bottom of the page in “Submissions” or you can email the archivist directly at or click on the image and make a comment on Flickr. You can view the entire Collection of Remember Me Photos: Volume 2 on Flickr as well.

This week, according to records when this photo was taken in June of 1955 this house was the MacKenzie residence – it would later become known as Clifton Manor.

Remember 133

Make your on any image and it will take you to Flickr.



Remember Me 131

In Issue 131, an image of the Baptist Church as it looked in June of 1955 was featured.


Remember 132

In Issue 132, an image taken in Sept. 1956 is highlighted. Records indicate that Billy Williams and Mrs. John Sturgeon are riding in the buggy.




Bookmark and Share  PHOTO STORY



In 2002, Dave and Lynne Gillians boarded Picaroon II, their CS 36 sailboat, and for the next two winters they lived aboard and explored the east coast of the United States and the Bahamas.


In 2002, Dave Gillians, and his wife Lynne, boarded Picaroon II, their CS 36 sailboat, and for the next two winters they lived aboard and explored the east coast of the United States and the Bahamas.

On the afternoon of Jan. 9, the Gillians’ explained to the large crowd that gathered at Knox Presbyterian Church, Bayfield, through anecdotes, music and photos just how unforgettable the experience was and how intense the friendships made were.

Their presentation was the first in the Take Time 2012 series sponsored by the four local churches.

According to Dave, “Twenty years of dreaming and planning went into this adventure. Our kids don’t call them adventures, however, they call them crisis’s.”

In addition to the dreaming and planning, keeping one’s sense of humor intact may have been key to the couple’s successful trip that began from Toronto Harbour one very hot day in July.

To really appreciate their journey some background is required, however.

Both Lynne and Dave grew up in Quebec and had no knowledge of boating until they visited Bayfield for the first time in 1972. It was in the Bayfield Harbour that Lynne’s father kept his 38-foot sailboat, Picaroon. It was here that the couple developed a love for sailing and gradually worked their way up to their own Picaroon II.

“Picaroon means adventurer, pirate or scoundrel. It comes from the ‘Picaresque’ and old English literary phrase. And for an ex-banker I thought it suited,” said Dave.

So with the boating lifestyle now entrenched: weekends in Bayfield on the boat, adventures to the North Channel, the couple cheered on their fellow boaters who embarked on their Southern tours never thinking that it was for them. It was only after they were invited to the Caribbean to stay for a week on a boat with a couple that had made the journey did they begin to consider it.

Then the option of early retirement arose for Dave and Lynne decided to quit her job. They decided to go for it while they were both still young enough to withstand the physical aspects of the trip.

“It was not a vacation. It was a lot of work,” said Dave. “Your adrenaline was flowing everyday. It was just incredible.”

So the pair sold their condo in Toronto, put their furniture in storage and turned their dreams into reality.

About 350 to 400 Canadian boats leave from the Great Lakes every year to make their way south. But for the Gillians it was a bit of a false start.

As was written earlier, it was a very hot day in July when they started out. One of those days that can cause thick fog to roll in. After some discussion it was decided to sneak back into their home-port and try again the next day.

“The next day there were tornado warnings at Newcastle just 10 miles from us down Hwy. 401,” said Lynne.

Upon their arrival at Oswego, NY, where boats leave the lake and enter the canal, came issues with the water pump not working…

Finally, they were ready to head into the Erie Canal system that takes boaters into the Hudson River. However, sailboats can’t get under the bridges in the locks with their mast up so they had to take down their 56-foot mast and strap it to the deck with about 10 feet of mast hanging off either end of the boat.

The Gillians' named their boat Picaroon II in honor of Lynne's father's boat, Picaroon. The name means adventurer, pirate or scoundrel.

Dave attributed the success of their trip to always trying to keep Lynne smiling.

This article tells of the Gillians' voyage to the Bahamas in 2002. At the end of their holiday they left their boat in Titusvile, FL and returned to Canada. In Jan. 2003, they went to Florida only to find a very hot summer had left Picaroon II in much need of repair. That winter they tried twice to cross the Gulf Stream but did not succeed so decided to explore Biscayne Bay around Miami instead of going back to the Bahamas.

A closer look at the signs left by sailors on Boo Boo Hill.

The final slide in the Gillians' presentation at Take Time 2012. They titled it, "All good things must come to an end; but we're still together."

“The first time we went into a lock we went in sideways but we got really good at it towards the end,” said Lynne.

Once in the Hudson River the mast went back up and they enjoyed being sailors again. They experienced the beauty of the river, gorgeous houses, mountain vistas and intriguing lighthouses.

They found themselves in New York City on what would be the hottest day of their trip. They also found the most expensive dockage there at $200 a night. They toured the city while getting up the courage to go out into the ocean. It took about three days for the weather conditions to be perfect enough to make the 28-hour run to Cape May, NJ.

“And then six foot waves came down from Ireland and we spent about four hours getting knocked about,” said Dave.

So they took shelter in Manisquan Inlet, on the Jersey Shore between Atlantic City and New York. They were still about 100 miles north of Cape May the entrance to Delaware Bay. They found the only place to anchor was seemingly ten feet away from a train route that had trains running past every ten minutes. About 4 a.m. they decided to press on.

At Cape May the task was to determine the optimum low tide time to navigate the canal as the bridge was exactly 56-feet high. After four days of deliberations they opted for a 3 a.m. departure and made it under despite the pinging of their antennas. They spent eight hours navigating the canal; some of this time in the darkness, using a spotlight that had been a very thoughtful gift from one of their daughters.

Then it was time for a well-deserved break, spending six weeks in the Chesapeake Bay enjoying the fruits of this most fragile ecosystem on the Eastern Coast of the US.

“It was while we were docked in Annapolis Harbor that our mechanic from back home showed up to check our boat for us. He did this a few times along the way. He was just one of the people that understand the dream and wanted to be a part of it,” said Dave.

When they reached Norfolk, VA they had 1,095 miles to go until they reached Miami, FL.

In some areas they travelled the route resembled a highway of water.


Norfolk proved memorable because it is home to naval shipyards, where sailboats travel alongside aircraft carriers. They also found sailing near Camp Lajeune in South Carolina of interest as the Marines conduct maneuvers near the special anchorage that is within bounds of the camp. Boaters are warned not to go ashore.

It was on this leg of the journey that the couple were told that a hurricane was approaching and when they took sanctuary at a marina they then had to brace for potential flash flooding and if Mother Nature wasn’t giving them enough to deal with their water pump broke.

It broke again when they reached North Carolinas’ Outer Banks and they spent an impromptu week there enjoying all that the area had to offer while it was repaired.

Interpretation of the tides would come into play again when navigating Elliott’s Cut in North Carolina. This time the couple was not alone, making the run through with several other sailboats. They thought they were passing through at slack tide but soon learned it was full-rush tide. They progressed slowly red lining the engine going about half a knot. But there was no bailing out without causing damage to the other boats around them.

They found good anchorage about every 40 to 50 miles. Most days were spent going about five miles per hour for eight to ten hours.

Finally at the end of November, on the American Thanksgiving Day, they anchored in an old mangrove swamp at Vero Beach FL. This was the location of choice for sailors preparing to cross their boat to the Bahamas.

“We had lots of fun there with people we knew or had met along the way,” said Lynne. “We spent a month in the Grand Harbor waiting for parts to become available from the same type of boat we had so that we would have some spare parts for the journey.”

While they were waiting they made friends with a doctor who claimed he was very good with engines. So Dave enlisted his help in preparing the spare parts. The doctor was true to his word and helped them out in record time so they invited him to sail the rest of the way with them to Miami. He was delighted.

In route they spent a couple weeks in Lake Worth, FL; and then decided to travel from Fort Lauderdale to Miami on the ocean.

“This was 2002 so 9-11 was still very fresh and they had closed the cruise ship waterway to small boats so we had to travel with the freighters. We passed one on which all the crew were wearing balaclavas and we were wondering why they had their faces covered. Turned out they had come in from a much warmer climate and found it cold. They were just trying to keep warm,” said Lynne.

They waited in South Beach, FL for a week waiting for the perfect conditions to cross the Gulf Stream to reach the Banks of the Bahamas – their ultimate goal.

Finally a consensus came down from the other intrepid sailors gathered and waiting that the night had come. It was now January and sailors have about a three-day weather window in which to make the trip.

The Gillians headed out at 3 a.m. ahead of the others knowing that their many nights traveling to the North Channel would serve them well.

“We hit the Gulf Stream at 7 a.m. and it was bouncy,” said Dave. “Then dark water turned to turquoise, the moon was full and the wind dropped, we were in the Bahamas in a world of our own. We dropped anchor in eight feet of water and when we woke up later that morning there were about 50 boats anchored around us.”

The couple spent the remainder of their time in the Bahamas anchored at Georgetown on Great Exuma Island. Before they could really holiday, however, they had to fulfill a sailing tradition and leave their sign on Boo Boo Hill in Warderick Wells in Great Exuma Park; a gesture signifying a successful crossing. The couple did this together. Humor intact. Dream realized.

Finally after seven months the couple reached their goal and spent the remainder of their time in the Bahamas anchored at Georgetown on Great Exuma Island. Before they could really holiday, however, they had to fulfill a sailing tradition and leave their sign on Boo Boo Hill in Warderick Wells in Great Exuma Park; a gesture signifying a successful crossing.



PIXILATED — image of the week

Return of the Lakeshore Ice

Return of the Lakeshore Ice... By Gary Lloyd-Rees

Email your photo in Jpeg format to with the subject line Subscriber Photo of the Week. or...Upload your photo to Flickr.

I am looking for the Bayfield that is a delight to the eye – please share photos with a touch of whimsy, beauty, humor or a sense of fun. If you are to include people in your photos be sure to have their permission to publish their picture on-line and also send in their names and where they are from. And don’t forget to tell me who took the photo for proper credit to be issued







Melody Falconer-Pounder


I had time between appointments in Goderich on Monday so I decided to finally drive through a few parts of town hit by the tornado that I had yet to visit. I hadn’t been all the way down West Street to the harbor since before the storm.

Seeing the beating the salt mine took and the ravaged trees on the Cliffside at Lions’ Harbor Park first hand leaves you feeling a bit empty inside. Seeing the empty spaces on such a lovely heritage street as St. Patrick was difficult too. And then there is the block that was home to such long loved businesses as Bailey’s, Wing Hong’s and Carmen’s Cameras; you can’t really find words to write how empty it all feels. I have heard that these businesses have chosen not to return. They will be missed, I’m sure.

But then you take a drive along the neighborhood around Park and Cambria Streets and you can’t help feeling uplifted. Things are really happening in that part of the town – prefab homes are being moved in and other homes are being built from the ground up. It is wonderful to see. I can imagine children laughing while jumping rope and playing hopscotch on the sidewalk under the shade of few new plantings.

And with confirmation that the province is going to live up to their 2:1 promise I may not have to imagine it for long. Congratulations Goderich and all who helped raise $3.87 million! - Melody

Ideas and contributions to the Bayfield Breeze are always welcome.
Deadlines for submissions are Sundays at 4 p.m.

Please email me at or call 519-565-2443.
Hope to see you online soon at 


Bookmark and Share

Click to sign up for weekly email notices.

Founding Members
Goderich Honda
Tuckersmith Communications Co-operative Ltd.
Bayfield Foodland
Outside Projects
Brad's Automotive
Bayfield Garage
Pharmasave Michael's Pharmacy
The Dock's Restaurant
Ian Mathew CA
Royal LePage Heartland Realty Brokerge


Writer, editor, photographer: Melody Falconer-Pounder
Web publisher/Graphic Designer: Dennis Pal
Advertising Sales: Mike Dixon
Logo Design: Kyle Vanderburgh, Goderich Print Shop
Special thanks to the Bayfield and Area Chamber of Commerce
Breeze Committee: Ian Matthew, Roger Lewington, Mike Dixon, John Pounder, Dennis Pal, Melody Falconer-Pounder